Child Deaths Increase
Awareness of the leading causes of death for children can lead to intervention strategies to help prevent mortality. Many of these deaths are preventable through preconception health care, early and ongoing prenatal care, and outreach to parents and caregivers. This indicator measures the leading causes of death for infants less than one year old and children ages one through four in San Bernardino County.
How is San Bernardino County Doing?
Cause of Death # of deaths Accidents (unintentional injuries) 10 Congenital Defect/ Chromosomal Abnormalities 5 Leukemia 2 All Other Causes 16 TOTAL 33
In 2016, the overall death rate for children under five years of age in San Bernardino County increased:
- The number of infant deaths increased 21%, from 165 in 2015 to 199 in 2016.
- The number of deaths among children ages one through four increased 10%, from 30 deaths in 2015 to 33 deaths in 2016.
- The overall death rate for children under five increased 19% between 2015 and 2016.
- However, the 10-year trend for San Bernardino County is gradually downward.
- Congenital defects/chromosomal abnormalities and maternal pregnancy complications affecting the newborn continue to top the list of leading causes of infant deaths.
- Accidents and congenital defects/chromosomal abnormalities were the leading causes of death for young children (one to four years old).
- Of the 10 deaths due to accidents for children ages one to four years old, seven were due to drownings, two were due to accidental strangulation or suffocation, and one was due to motor vehicle collision.
Cause of Death # of deaths Congenital Defects/Chromosomal Abnormalities 42 Maternal Pregnancy Complications Affecting Newborn 26 Prematurity/Low Birth Weight 14 Complications of placenta, cord & membranes 7 Respiratory distress of newborn 5 Intestinal Disease (Necrotizing enterocolitis) of Newborn 4 Sudden Infant Death Syndrome 3 Chronic Respiratory Disease 3 Gastritis, Duodenitis, and Noninfective Enteritis and Colitis 3 Pulmonary Hemorrhage 3 Bacterial Sepsis of Newborn 3 Cardiomyopathy 3 All other 83 TOTAL 199