Region is Number One in Residential Solar Power
New policies and innovations are driving a shift from the use of carbon-based energy sources to alternative sources, clean technology, and increased energy efficiency. This indicator uses the Green Innovation Index to measure San Bernardino County’s progress in achieving sustainable economic growth. The Green Innovation Index provides statewide rankings of 26 metro areas on several measures of green innovation: installed solar capacity, clean vehicle rebates, and electricity consumption per capita.1
How is San Bernardino County Doing?
Compared to 26 metro areas in California, Riverside-San Bernardino is a top region for solar power:
- In 2017, Riverside-San Bernardino ranked first out of 26 California metro areas for the most kilowatts of solar power added by residents.
- Riverside-San Bernardino was also a statewide leader in commercial and industrial solar power additions, ranking 6th and 7th, respectively.
- Riverside-San Bernardino held its position as 5th out of 26 in the number of clean vehicle rebates issued in 2017.
- In terms of the lowest residential electricity consumption per capita, Riverside-San Bernardino ranked 20 out of 26 metros in 2016, which is a drop in ranking since 2015 when the region ranked 14th.
- The region is 8th in the state for the lowest non-residential electricity consumption.
Riverside-San Bernardino Los Angeles-Orange County San Diego Most Solar Installations: Residential 1 2 3 Most Solar Installations: Commercial 6 5 2 Most Solar Installations: Industrial 7 9 12 Most Clean Vehicle Rebates 5 1 4 Lowest Electricity Consumption per Capita: Residential 20 7 6 Lowest Electricity Consumption per Capita: Non-Residential 8 13 5